I believe at least one FOIA request has been pending for the exact
FAA rule. I wrote about this a few years ago and asked the FAA to
clarify its position, and I never heard anything authoritative.

In a recent article, I pointed out that the trend is shifting: You
can now use kiosk check-in in some airlines and avoid showing photo ID.

-Declan