On Wednesday, May 2, 2001, at 08:07 AM, David Honig wrote:

> At 06:14 PM 5/1/01 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>> The real argument is that commanding a person to keep records of whom
>> he
>> communicates with (which is what a log of messages is all about) is a
>> slam dunk violation of the First Amendment. It is no more acceptable
>> than an order commanding Alice to record in a log the names of all
>> those
>> persons she speaks with.
>
> Freedom of *association* too ---no obligation to keep even headers
> (traffic
> analysis data) either.

The First Amendment includes free association.

> My comment re: 'congress paying for it' was an oblique reference to
> congress realizing they had to pay for CALEA.

And I say the criticism of CALEA based on the cost of implementing it
was wrong-headed. Since the government can distribute taxpayer's money,
they can dole out some bucks. This doesn't change the fact that CALEA
and Carnivore are intrusive and violative of private property.

(Though a couple of legal scholars agreed with Cypherpunk analysis that
it could be one of the few actual court cases involving "the quartering
of troops," in that a requirement that a CALEA box, or a Carnivore box,
is a kind of forced accomodation for agents of the government, i.e.,
quartering of troops.)

--Tim May