At 8:54 AM -0700 5/3/01, David Honig wrote:
>At 01:35 AM 5/3/01 -0400, An Metet wrote:
>>[I wonder if our more unpopular Federal agencies house their mainframes in
>facilities that are shielded from this sort of attack]
>>
>>Simple RF Weapon Can Fry PC Circuits
>>Scientists show device that could make the electromagnetic spectrum the
>terrorist weapon of choice.
>>

>Old news.  One thing I haven't heard of being used in herfgun design is the
>new commercial
>'ultracapacitors' which have multi-FARAD capacitances in very small sizes,
>and some have very low ESR (ie, you can drain them fast).

Yep, old news. But the Horrors of the Unfettered HERF Gun" ("Dad, he
just said the G word!") get trotted out periodically to remind the
sheeple why new limitations on access to technology by NGAs must be
restricted.

(NGAs = Non-Governmental Actors)

"Information Warfare" is again being trotted out in the context of
currently-deteriorating relations between the U.S.G. and the P.R.C.
(China). Wanna bet we start seeing recycled reports about plans to
knock out the stock exchanges, with "Chinese info-terrorists"
replacing the "IRA terrorists" who were said to be planning EMP/HERF
attacks on London several years ago?

--Tim May
--
Timothy C. May         [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns