Okay, just a few pointers.

1. On Win95 - If one does not have access to a user "account" on the
local machine one can either cancel the login or just login with a new
username and password.  Win9x was made for the home environment and has
separate accounts only to give prefs and desktops for separate people as
they would each like it.

2. On a peer to peer network with Win9x involved one can access "shared"
resources freely at this point if they have no additional controls
enabled - typical in a closed computing environment (not good, but
typical.)

3. On a peer to peer with NT4 WS involved the NTFS drives have more
security options available, though not necessarily actuated.

4. On a peer to peer with NT4 Server involved as an available
stand-alone server the server protects only its own resources.

5. If NT4 server network is setup as a Domain there is a Primary Domain
Controller (PDC) and zero or more Backup Domain Controllers (BDCs).
These handle authentication to the Domain and security within the Domain
is controlled however it is setup - well or poorly.

6. With Win2K there are 1 or more Domain Controllers involved with no
PDC/BDC differentiation involved.

7. IF (Big IF) security is setup with any thought to security, there
with be a Domain involved, with NTFS in use on the servers and all data
residing on the servers (thus the designed-for-home-user Win9x will not
be "protecting" anything) and well formed passwords will be enforced
(thus minimizing the abilities of such toys as lophtcrack).

I hope that this helps with the theoretical musings.

And, of course, this was purely educational and only a top level view at
that.

Paul H. Merrill, Master CNE, MCSE+I