On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 07:31:29PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Monday, August 14, 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I could probably come up with uses for cat pee if I set my mind to it.
> > I'm having considerable difficulty with the idea of commercially-
> > available cat pee. Is it sanitized? Are Dept of Health certificates
> > needed? How on earth can you make a profit selling cat pee by mail?
> > Who _thought_ of selling cat pee, let alone by mail?
>
> IIRC it is used by squishy-centered gardeners who want to keep Bambi away
> from their basil.  (I know you can order "Bobcat" for this purpose.  I
> don't know if it comes in other flavours.)
>
> Yep:  http://www.critterridders.com/urine.htm offers fox, bobcat, wolf,
> and coyote.  Whee!

The deer in our yard pretty much ignore the cat piss we leave out
near the rose bushes[1].  There's also cat piss from the wild bobcats, and the
coyote piss from the coyotes.  All the critters follow pretty much the same
path around the house, and those that are wont to do so leave their marks
in the appropriate spots.  The deer don't seem to care.

Having spent a childhood with horses, I don't think that police horses
in the midst of a riot, or even a crowd of people, are going to care
much about a whiff of cat piss.  Horses are much more visual than
anything else, and horses in a crowd of people are going to be paying
full attention to what they're seeing, not what they're smelling.

If it was a horse that's out in the woods, going down a trail under
trees or next to a rock outcrop, and smells mountain-lion pee, it might
pay closer attention or maybe decide to go a different way.

But a police horse, in a crowd of people?  It'd hardly notice the smell.
It could well flinch at the motion of someone throwing something at it,
but for that, water would do just as well.

--
  Eric Murray http://www.lne.com/ericm  ericm at lne.com  PGP keyid:E03F65E5
Security consulting: secure protocols, security reviews, standards, smartcards.