http://www.anarchistcommunitarian.net/whatisanarchism.shtml
What Is Anarchism?
First off, all notions that anarchism stands for chaos, disorder, violence,
laissez-faire capitalism, structurelessness, terrorism, and "everyone for
themselves" needs to be abandoned in order for one to have a clear
understanding of what anarchism is actually about. In fact, it can be said
that anarchism is actually the opposite of all of that. However, despite
this fact, a great many mis-conceptions, mis-understandings, slander, and
media-portrayals of negative stereotypes of anarchists has occurred all
over the world for hundreds of years. The cumulative effect of all of this
has led to most people considering anarchism, especially "anarchy", as one
of those things that I listed above. With most people having this negative
prejudice towards anarchism, many naturally do not want to try and learn
anything about it, and hence the cycle of ignorance is perpetuated.
Anarchism is the social, economic and political theory that all forms of
hierarchy, domination, authority, and coercion are wrong and should be
abolished and replaced with new forms of inter-acting that are based on
voluntary cooperation, direct participatory democracy, free association and
mutual aid. Because of these core beliefs, anarchism advocates the complete
abolition of all forms of capitalism, government, racism, sexism and
homophobia. Anarchism sees capitalism and government as being institutions
fundamentally based upon hierarchy, domination, authority, and coercion,
whereas it views racism, sexism and homophobia as being inter-personal
expressions of the same things.
Anarchism sees order and organization without authority and government as
being possible, desirable and, to some extent, already existing in some
small forms today. Anarchism seeks to create new forms and structures of
relating and organizing without government and authority, as well as
expanding upon the already existing ones.
There is a wide and diverse variety of anarchists, anarchist beliefs,
tactics, and visions of a future anarchist society. There are
eco-anarchists, union-centered anarchists, anti-God anarchists, Christian
and Jewish anarchists, pacifist anarchists, animal rights-centered
anarchists, class struggle-centered anarchists, pro-technology anarchists,
anti-technology anarchists, etc etc. However, the things that unites all of
these anarchists is the core beliefs that I wrote above(although each
individual anarchist would think about and express this core unifying
sentiment in a different and unique way).
To learn more about anarchism, I suggest that you read this essay.
For an even larger and more in-depth introduction to anarchism, I recommend
that you visit An Anarchist FAQ.
Some good, useful and informative anarchist web-sites that I recommend are:
Liberty For The People
Anarchy Archives
Spunk Library
Infoshop.org