On 9 Feb 2002, at 10:45, Steve Schear wrote:

> At 09:31 AM 2/9/2002 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
> >On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, proffr11 wrote:
> >
> > > SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - In a serious blow to California's three-strikes
> > law, a
> > > federal appeals court has ruled that life in prison for shoplifting is
> > > cruel and unusual punishment.
> >
> >All 3-strike type laws are unconstitutional and need to be removed.
>
> Except for one's which still need passage: removing office holders who
> demonstrate their violation of their sworn oath to preserve, protect and
> defend the Constitution (e.g., by legislators affirming three laws in which
> any part is later ruled unconstitutional).
>
> steve

Why give them three strikes?  Why not remove them the
first time?

Of course, whether they're removed after the first, third, or
hundredth strike, you still have the problem that whether
or not a law is ruled unconstitutional by the courts has
only a weak correlation with whether or not the law is in fact
Constitutional.

Going back to the earlier case, I suspect it'll be overturned by the
supremes.  Lawyer types correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe
the SC has consistently held that the ban on cruel and
unusual punishment only bans certain punishments
for any offenses (torture, maiming, branding), it doesn't ban
excessive punishment for any particular crime, except where
money is involved.  Certainly that view is consistent with the
text:

Amendment VIII
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed,
nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

George