Wonder what kind of deal he got for calling himself a "terrorist" (tm,
USG)

 Arsonist Who Tried to Stop Construction Near Protected Area in Phoenix
                           Area Gets 18 Years
                 By Foster KlugAssociated Press Writer
                         Published: Feb 12, 2002
PHOENIX (AP) - Weeping and apologizing to his victims, a man was
sentenced to 18 years in prison for torching seven luxury homes under
construction as he tried to stop development near protected desert
areas.

Mark Sands, 50, also must pay $2.8 million in restitution, U.S. District
Judge Susan Bolton said during Monday's sentencing.

Sands cried as he apologized to his family and victims who attended his
sentencing hearing.

"I believed then - and yes, it was arrogant - that the fires and threats
would make a difference," he said. "There is no environmental or
religious excuse for terrorism of any kind."

Sands pleaded guilty in November to eight counts of extortion and one
count of using fire to commit a federal felony. Arson charges that were
part of an original indictment were dismissed.

He also admitted writing letters to the media and property owners
warning that the fires would continue as long as people continued to
build next to the protected land in Phoenix and Scottsdale. One note,
found April 29 said, "You build, we burn again."

<snip>
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAF7L9MLXC.html