On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 04:38  PM, Eric Cordian wrote:

> Here's an interesting little story.  The Feds are rethinking the idea of
> continuing to make documents which detail information about vulnerable
> infrastructure available to the public.
>
> Indeed, many such documents are no longer on government Web pages.

I reported first-hand evidence of this in the first few weeks following
911, when I found a bunch of government sites on reactor locations, dam
sites, etc. had been made inaccessible.

Others confirmed that hundreds of sources of public information--in many
case information required by law to be public--ceased being available.

Like most government responses to 911, it was a feel-good cosmetic move.
Anyone seriously interested in doing damage would spend the extra effort
to get beyond the speed bumps, but ordinary folks won't.

> The Feds recently sent out a letter to 1300 libraries across the
> country,
> asking them to destroy a particular document about water supplies.
>
> The libraries cheerfully complied.
>
> One wonders if the libraries would have rolled over so easily had the
> government requested the destruction of "The Turner Diaries," "Why
> Buildings Fall Down," or "Heather Has Two Mommies."

Many already have done just such things. And not just recently.

--Tim May