To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:38:32 -0500
Subject: Andy Rooney: Least of our worries
From: David M Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Matt,

Andy Rooney's wooden-headed advocacy of a national ID card (or,
incredibly, some kind of national ID tattoo) -- so that he'll have an
easier time getting into ball games and getting through airport
security --  is certainly ludicrous and offensive.

Rooney opines before an audience of millions, but one must hope that
not all of his listeners are guzzling beer and nodding and mumbling,
"Yeah, that's right, implant a microchip in my arm."

It's hard to know how to answer those who say it will be easy to
institute safeguards in such a way that a national ID won't
inaugurate a toboggan slide down the slippery slope into a police
state. Each exponent of the national ID is farther down the slope
than the one before. Rooney says the security personnel at airports
can't tell the difference between a bomb and Band-Aid--but wants to
give these same people access to all his private data and the job
determining whether his actions and habits "fit the profile" of a
terrorist or other deviant citizen.

Yes, Andy Rooney, of course any national ID card would be attended by
a national database to which it is linked. And of course that
national database would grow and grow and grow in terms of the amount
of information about all of us that is logged therein. And of course
no terrorist cares whether he's flagged in the database AFTER he's
completed his mission and killed himself. Think, Andy, think.

But at least all the tried-and-true advocates of liberty can grasp
the danger of universal surveillance and its empowerment of a police
state rush to the defense of the rights and privacy of innocent
people, right? At least we can count on the advocates of freedom,
right? Right

But FreeMatt's Alerts has already alerted us to the fact that we
can't. In a recent column for Laissez Faire Books, I reprise that
theme. See my discussion at:

<http://www.laissezfairebooks.com/index.cfm?eid=411&aid=10384>

It's Cathy Young and James Robbins and Bob Poole, all more or less
known advocates of freedom now more or less caving on issues of
personal freedom and security in the wake of 911. No doubt they're
not alone.

Young wants to give the feds a back door to our encrypted files.
Robbins thinks his past opposition to a national ID has become
"trivial."

Poole, a co-founder of the Reason Foundation and one of the
triumvirate who took over Reason Magazine a year after its birth in
the late 60s, at least has not openly advocated a national ID card.
But Poole does advocate a so-called "trusted traveler" card, to be
imposed by the governmental regime of airport security, a card which
would be a step on the road to national ID. If Poole recognizes the
concern as legitimate, however, he doesn't bother to discuss it. Not
in his November column, posted at the Reason Foundation web site; and
not in his more recent op-ed for the Wall Street Journal.

Well, enough's enough. Guys, you're fired. You are no longer leaders
in any kind of movement proposing individual liberty. Pick up your
severance checks and get out. And take your toboggan with you.

David M. Brown

David M. Brown  *  Writer and Editor  *  unreasonable rates
Columnist for Laissez Faire Books
<http://www.laissezfairebooks.com/index.cfm?aid=10384>