At 12:06 AM 02/18/2002 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>This article from NYTimes.com
>has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>I find it difficult to see why citizens should be treated any different
>then corporations whe it comes to their ability to shelter offshore income
>from the IRS.  Some in fact engage in "buy-back" transactions but they
>must be very careful at tax time.
>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

That's simple - corporations are fictitious persons.
If you, as a real person, want to stop being a US citizen and move
somewhere else
that doesn't have an income tax, you can, but it's somewhat difficult and
may be a bigger change in your lifestyle than you want.
But if a US corporation wants to dissolve and sell its assets to a Bermuda
corporation, and have the Bermuda corporation operate in the US as a foreign
corporation, while its fictitious person is lying on the beach in the islands,
it'll keep a bunch of lawyers and accountants busy for a little while
they learn new tricks, but it's not too much more trouble than being a
Delaware corporation instead of a California corporation.

So what can _you_ do if you want to shelter _your_ income by having it
emigrate?
If you're a direct employee of a US corporation, like I am,
you won't be able to do much about your wages, but if you're a contractor
or consultant, you may already own a corporation you're using to bill your
customers
and pay your business expenses and pay you, so you could replace that with a
tax-haven corporation, whether that's Anguillan, Bermudan, Caymans, etc.

But you can also create a non-US corporation and use it for your investments.
You can't simply put your money in a Caymans bank and have the interest be
tax-exempt,
because it's still income to you, so the Feds can tax it.
But you if you invest your money in a corporation, chartered in some
appropriate
country, and that corporation put the money in a bank, and earns interest,
there's no US connection even though you own the corporation,
so until you tell it to pay you dividends, you're not getting taxed,
and the interest can compound at full rate instead of after-taxes,
which can be a big win if you're getting much interest.
Similarly, if the corporation invests in things that make capital gains,
those aren't taxable - only the dividends that you as a stockholder get paid
are taxable.  That doesn't help directly if you've got one winning investment -
but if you're in the more typical situation where some of your investments win
and some of them lose, and they don't conveniently do so in the same tax year,
you're still able to balance them out instead of doing the US lame
carryover-loss.

All of this is perfectly legal tax avoidance, assuming you do it properly.
It used to be more difficult than it is today - but there's now a decent
communications infrastructure, and you can do things like get a Visa card
on the tax-haven bank account so you don't have to wire money around
when you want to spend it, and while it may be more expensive to set up
some of these corporations than your typical "$50 Delaware Corporation",
it's not too expensive compared to the amount a typical Silicon Valley
investor of
3-5 years ago could save on tax-sheltering.  On the other hand,
if all your money is invested in businesses that are losing their shirts,
it's a bit less help :-) though it can still be useful for stretching your
losses
to cover future capital gains.

Of course, there are other aspects of overseas corporations as an investment,
such as illegal tax evasion, sheltering assets where they're hard to reach
in lawsuits and other court judgements, laundering money for Bad People,
running scams where the victims' money ends up in your hard-to-reach
overseas corporation, ripping of your country's money when you're a politician,
scamming people to pay the up-front money to collect the money your relatives
allegedly ripped off when they were live politicians, and then the
also-occasionally popular sports of running "banks" or "investment
corporations"
in tax-haven countries that fold up and disappear, ripping off their investors.
It's much more difficult to get money back in those cases,
since you're forced to deal with courts that are far away and may be corrupt,
but most of the popular tax-haven countries are good at protecting investors
because they want lots of repeat business (or if they're not,
they cease being "popular" pretty fast...)