On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 10:55:49AM -0800, Steve Schear wrote:
> I don't think we can depend on the accuracy of the WSJ in reporting the
> true chain of events.  They should have immediately published a MD of each
> encrypted file and later the extracted keys, that way it would be possible
> to more confidently verify the story.  In fact, this procedure should
> become necessary disclosure for future reports of discovered encrypted
> materials with news application.

I agree, but you must realize this is not the way traditional news
organizations run. They generally operate on the principle that they
know what is best for readers to know and, again generally, do not
reproduce source documents. In some cases this is adequate (reporters
*are* good at summarizing); when you have an Internet site with ample
space to post materials, it is not.

-Declan