The infiltration begins:

Listening device discovered in the QC office

by Rebecca Wolf, QC Managing Editor

http://web.whittier.edu/qc/bug.htm

A maintenance worker discovered an electronic eavesdropping device
inside an electrical outlet behind a sofa in the
Quaker Campus (QC) newspaper office Thursday, Feb. 21.

Maintenance searched all outlets and light switches in the QC on Monday,
Feb. 25 and on Tuesday, Feb. 26, the outlets in
the Student Union and the offices of the Council of Representatives
(COR), the Acropolis and Whittier College Radio were
searched. Director of Student Activities Barnaby Peake also searched the
phones in the QC office on Wednesday, but no
other devices were found.

There are no suspects or leads as to who placed the device or why it was
placed.

"As far as I know, this is the first bug confirmed in a student
newspaper office," Mike Heistand of the Student Press Law
Center based in Washington D.C. said in the College Media Advisors
online message board.

The maintenance department and the Security and Spy Outlet store in
Puente Hills believed the device was homemade
using parts bought at a local store and took no more than 10 minutes to
install inside the QC. However, Private Investigator
Thomas Barnes of Thomas Barnes and Associates in Whittier said that the
device was too intricate to be homemade.

"[The device] works like a mini FM radio station," said an employee of
the spy outlet store, who wished to be identified only
as "Paul." "Whoever built it could have been listening live or could
have set up a tape recorder to record everything to listen
to later."

According to Paul, the device was designed to last no more than a year
because the individual components would burn out.
He tested the device at the store but it did not work, and he believes
the device was not functioning at the time it was
discovered.

"We dont yet know why that device was there," said Barnes, a retired
detective. "There would be no lawful reason, because
anything recorded would not be admissible [in court] ... its definitely
illegal."

The Whittier Police Department (W.P.D.) was called to the scene on
Monday but initially chose not to file a report because
of a lack of any real leads. However, after pressure from local
councilman Bob Henderson, W.P.D. Chief David Singer said
that there would be an investigation into why a report was not initially
filed. "Whenever a crime appears to have occurred, a
report should be taken," Singer said. "We will investigate what occurred
with whether a report should have been taken."

Assistant Chief of Campus Safety John Lewis later took the bug to the
W.P.D. and a report was filed Wednesday night.
Singer said he did not know what could be done in the investigation of
the bug at this time.

"Without a doubt the W.P.D. should have filed a report," Barnes said.
"This is not a civil case; this is a criminal case."

Hiestand said that installing a bug in a private area is illegal in
California, and there is a federal law that prohibits
government intrusion into newsrooms. "Clearly what has happened here is
reprehensible," Heistand said.

"This is a violation of our rights on innumerable levels," junior QC
Editor-in-Chief Amy Stice said. "Not only does it infringe
on our rights as a free press, but also as human beings entitled to a
right to privacy. Weve been threatened, and at a level
we find impossible to comprehend."

President Katherine Haley Will was off-campus at a conference this week
and could not be reached for comment. Assistant
Dean of Students Tracy Poon-Tambascia believes the bug was placed by
someone who had more than a casual conflict
with the newspaper. "This is a level of sophistication beyond general
tension," Tambascia said.

"Whoever installed the device wanted to monitor [the QCs] activity for
a long period of time. They wanted to keep tabs on
who [the QC] was talking to and probably wanted to neutralize stories
before they came out," Barnes said.

Campus Safety believes the device could have been placed in the QC
office by a group wanting to know the stories the
newspaper planned to publish, an ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend of a
former employee, or even by a former reporter who
wanted to scoop another reporter on a story.

The devices locationbehind the sofais the location for staff
conferences. According to QC Advisor Gary Libman, that
area of the office has been a meeting area for the staff since he has
been its advisor, which has been for 17 years.

The QC walls were painted last August and the paint seal was broken by
Armando Renteria, the maintenance electrician,
when he removed the device, indicating the device has been in the wall
at least since August. Campus Safety and Paul
estimate the device to be a few years old because of the size of the
components and the dust collected on it. Newer devices
are smaller in size and can transmit farther. The outlet that the device
was installed on is a newer model that was not sold
until the 1990s, according to Renteria.

Renteria was called to the QC office to fix a light table that had
broken earlier in the year. When Renteria checked the outlet
that the light table was plugged into, he found that the two main wires
to the outlet were switched. Renteria then pulled the
outlet out and found the bugging device connected to it.

When told of the device, Libman recalled that an issue of the QC was
stolen from news stands 15 months ago. "I think these
things are a matter of great concern," Libman said.

Approximately 1,200 newspapers were stolen of the Nov. 30, 2000 issue.
Lewis said that he did not see a connection
between the two events nor did he believe that "this is part of a
grander scheme."

"There isnt any evidence that there are more devices," Tambascia said.
"Our assumption is that this is the only device. ... I
dont know that we can do more. If more were found, it [would] feed into
a sense of urgencybut that wasnt the case."

A sense of urgency was felt by Council of Representatives (COR)
President Jess Craven, who contacted Barnes. Craven
said that the device did not just concern the newspaper but every
student on campus. "The privacy of students was
compromised and not taken seriously enough," Craven said. "It needed a
second look and thats what it got."

Craven said a second look was neccessary because the device was built
for long-term use, a hard-wire assembly that was
connected to the buildings power. Other devices that are
battery-operated are available but only last a few weeks before
needing a replacement battery.

Paul said that the device could transmit up to two to three miles away.
However, Associate Plant Director of Whittier
College Bruce Lussier said the device was a High Frequency (HF) device
and probably had a range of 200-300 feet.
Lussier is an amateur radio operator with a technicians license.

"The further the range, the more difficult it is when considering where
to search," Lewis said. "We want to take a measured
approach to this."

According to Campus Safety Chief Bernard Alex, this is the first
electronic eavesdropping device of this type found on
campus.

"Ive worked at schools and universities for 15 years and was in the
military for 25, and I have never seen anything like this,"
Lussier said.