At 11:40 AM 3/23/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Patent office does better than BXA:
>
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24557.html
>
>Peter Avritch, president of PC Dynamics, told us he was surprised to be
>approached this week about what he considered was an "absurd" claim,
>based on a patent filed in 1998 - long after the widespread use of
>electronic encryption technology.
>
>"This is a very broad patent, which covers almost everything that saves
>encrypted files to disc. It could cover everything from secure laptops
>to electronic encryption," he said.

Avritch's claims about the scope of the patent and the lack of prior art
are both disproven by the text of the patent itself, linked to from the
Register article.

Software patents are harmful, but let's not lose track of simple facts in
our sympathy for someone who got blindsided by a patent.

--
Greg Broiles -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- PGP 0x26E4488c or 0x94245961