Another thought that ocurred to me reading this article is that
the incentives of the people involved aren't exactly what they
appear to be.  People who make "pirate boxed" really don't
want to develop some device that'll give people free satellite
TV forever;  they're much better off with things as they are now,
where each time they get to keep selling news stuff.

Also, the satellite people's incentive isn't really to eliminate
piracy. As long as pirating the system is more expensive than
buying it, they're actually better off with lots of Canadians
pirating the signals, since it increases the liklihood that
Canada will end up allowing people to view the stuff legally.

I presume both sides know this, and their policies reflect it.

George