Title: Newsletter 1 Internetfiltering.org

INTERNETFILTERING.ORG         Filtering a Global Issue
  Newsletter 2
May 7 2002

Welcome to our second newsletter.

Last month we send our first newsletter to 392 subscribers and we have had great responses from some of them. This month we will be sending the newsletter out to over 1034 people. Thank you for all your words of praise and support and making this newsletter grow so rapidly.
We have had 2 complaints so far by people not able to read our newsletter in HTML format. If you are having the same problem please send us a email and we will be happy to supply you with an plain text version.

We are looking for articles and news from the filtering communities around the globe. If you have a interesting piece of news or would like to send us an article feel free to do so. Please send all articles to newsletter.

Well it has been a quit month on the news side of things. In Ohio the new Child Porn law has come under heavy resistance. Where do we draw the line between freedom of speech and the protection of the rights of others. There is now even talk within the filtering community that adult pay sites do  not need to be filtered as these sites are inaccessible without a username and password. Do people really forget about the free previews of these sites and then also the websites were passwords and usernames for these services are freely available. Then there is the
National Academies' National Research Council that is of the opinion that No one fix for Net porn and kids 'The whole idea of supervision ... is overrated'. We hope that next month we can report some positive commentary. All current news can be found on our news page.

A couple of companies have launched new or updated products:

  • GFI MailSecurity Earns Checkmark Certification for Anti-Virus Protection. Comprehensive email security package utilizes multiple virus engines to protect networks; also provides exploit detection, threats analysis & email content checking. GFI has announced that MailSecurity, its new email security package for Exchange and SMTP servers, has been awarded Anti-Virus Checkmark Level 1 certification from West Coast Labs. The certification ensures that GFI MailSecurity meets the Checkmark program's rigorous standards for detecting in-the-wild viruses. The Anti-Virus Checkmark is a globally recognized program that tests computer security products to determine whether they can detect viruses that are actually causing infections in the real world. Certification under the program gives end users a clear and independent indication of a given product's virus identification capabilities. The testing procedure is repeated at least every three months to ensure continued compliance.

  • N2H2 Releases New Sentian(TM) FS Internet Filtering Product Line. N2H2, Inc. an Internet access management company specializing in fast and scalable filtering solutions, today announced the release of the company's new Sentian(TM) FS enterprise-class filtering software. Available on both the Microsoft Windows and Red Hat Linux operating systems, the new Sentian(TM) FS software is supported by the Cisco Systems PIX Firewall v6.2 Operating System (OS).  In 2001, industry analyst firm Frost & Sullivan reported that Cisco was the number one firewall appliance vendor with 50% of the U.S. commercial firewall appliance market. Enterprise customers who want integrated Internet filtering with Cisco PIX Firewalls now have a second choice. The Sentian(TM) FS feature set is designed to readily accommodate the critical needs of enterprise organizations, empowering companies of any size
    to affordably manage Internet access and activity. The flexible management tools of Sentian FS, combined with its sophisticated Internet usage reporting, deliver quantifiable resource management results.

Some exciting additions will be done to the website within the next couple of weeks. Any ideas on what you would like to see on  the site or in the newsletter, we would like to hear from you.

Till next month

The Internetfiltering.org Team

Your donation will enable us to continue our services

To remove yourself from this mailinglist, click here.