R. H. Coase wrote two very interesting articles in The Journal of Law and
Economics, called "The Federal Communications Commission" (Oct. 1959) and
"The Interdepartment Radio Advisory Committee" (Oct. 1962). These articles
focus on the two key agencies in the United States that manage spectrum
allocation policy. He argues that because the set of frequencies is
limited, the proper method for allocation is to create a market in
frequencies. I am a great admirer of Coase's clear systems thinking,
especially his work on transaction cost economics, for which he won the
Nobel. The problem with his argument is that his understanding of
information theory and communications is pre-Shannon - when we begin
measuring the utility of the spectrum in terms of its information capacity
and options to connect, rather than the number of frequency channels, the
scarcity argument does not apply. However, these are excellent articles,
which everyone involved in the debate must read - I hope to find online
versions.
Links etc at...
http://www.reed.com/dprframeweb/dprframe.asp