On Tue, 21 May 2002, gfgs pedo wrote:

> Its regarding maximum period LSFR's (Linear feed back
> shift registers) used for generating
> pseudo random numbers.
> A tap sequence for an LFSR is the xor of certain bits
> in the register.
>
> For eg: I choose a primitive polynomail mod 2
>
> x^32+x^7+x^5+x^3+x^2+x+1 is a primitive polynomial mod
> 2(chosen from a table)
>
> It says for an LSFR to be a maximum  period LSFR,
> the polynomial from a tap sequence plus constant one
> must be a primitive polynomail mod 2

Right so far.

> How ever what is the polynomial formed the tap
> sequence & how is it found,I dont understand.

the tap sequence is just the bits from the polynomial:
x^32 + x^7 is the xor of 2 bits.  + x^5 is the xor of
a 3rd bit, and so on.  So you just do what the polynomial
says, add up the bits!

Then you shift them one place (multiply or divide by x basicly).
The new bit you computed is rotated in, and the ms or ls bit
is lost (depending on which way you shift).

> It further says the degree of the polynomail is the
> length of the shift register.

Yup.

> Here 32 is the degree,hence is a 32 bit shift
> register.
>
> It says a primitive polynomial  of degree n is
> irreducable  polynomial that divides
> (x^2)^(n-1)  +1 but not (x^d)+1 for any d that divides
>  (2^n-1)

Where did you find that?  It's irreducible if it
is a member of x^(2^n) + 1.  I didn't know there was that
simple a test for primitive.

> Now what is the polynomial of degree n?

Your tap sequence.

> I thought I already had  one with degree 32.

Yup, you do.

> which is the primitive polynomial of degree n that
> divides
> (x^2)^(n-1)  +1 but not (x^d)+1 for any d that divides
>  (2^n-1)
> and where did it come from?

It comes from cyclotomic polynomials and finding out that all the
irreducible polynomials combine to form a really simple expression.
Quite amazing really - that's one of those "beautiful" things in math.

I would like to know where you got it too.  Usually you have to test by
brute force if a polynomial is primitive or not.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike