On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 13:15:18 -0700, AARG!Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On the contrary, TCPA/Palladium can solve exactly this problem.  It allows
> the marketers to *prove* that they are running a software package that
> will randomize the data before storing it.  And because Palladium works
> in opposition to their (narrowly defined) interests, they can't defraud
> the user by claiming to randomize the data while actually storing it
> for marketing purposes.

Yup.. This bit I agree with (in contrary to the other reply to your message).

There are still issues over the correctness of that aforementioned
randomizing package; is it correctly designed and implemented. AFAIK
Pd would let a user know it was being run.

> Ironically, those who like to say that Palladium "gives away root on your
> computer" would have to say in this example that the marketers are giving
> away root to private individuals.  In answering their survey questions,
> you in effect have root privileges on the surveyor's computers, by this
> simplistic analysis.  This further illustrates how misleading is this
> characterization of Palladium technology in terms of root privileges.

Actually, I'd exactly call Palladium as being root over my machine,
maybe a part of my machine (a Tor/NUB/whatever), but root.. It could
be claimed that I have a choice as to whether or not I wish to run the
'other' software. However, I've always had that choice (the power
switch). Its still root.

The idea I believe is that I'm supposed to be mollified by the idea
(as you suggest) that I can get root on someone elses machine, to
control what they can and can't do.. However, little is said that the
reverse applies to me; someone has root on *my* machine.

Now, that might not be bad, if it weren't for the power inbalance
between me and them. Why do I have a 'bonus saver' card for 3 grocery
store chains? Why am I stuck with draconian EULA's that promise
nothing and take away everything.

Scott