At 08:32 PM 10/24/02 -0700, Morlock Elloi wrote:
>Napster clones, kazaa, gnutella et al. rely on end-users to upload
stuff. These
>end users simply have no bandwidth available for that. Cheapo DSL lines
have
>hundred or few hundreds of kbit/sec unguaranteed upload capacity. No
one is
>going to pay T1 to serve free stuff in breach of copyright laws.

What stops a P2P client from downloading blocks of a file
from multiple users?   Ie, "bandwidth aggregation" or
"channel bonding"?  The download from each is slow (due to
b/w/ asymmetry) but you're downloading from lots of them.

>While there always will be pathological cases that will spend tens of
hours
>online to get few mp3s for free (that is, until local telco decides
that flat
>rate is no more viable), for most napsters are unusable.

You don't know Jack (Valenti).

Usable serving costs
>money, is stationary and therefore taxable. Until all 802.11bs automesh

>networks get connected independently of "internet".

1. Battery life
2. It has a niche, but although more robust technically and socially,
a mesh isn't as efficient for long haul stuff as a buried fiber.
Although we welcome further analysis/bizplans.