On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 06:31:40PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> On Sunday, October 27, 2002, at 01:04  PM, Bill Stewart wrote:
>
> > [Hmm.  lne.com spam-blocked me on the first attempt.
>
> Can you provide details?
>
> If lne.com is blocking posts, I will have to find another CP node.

Lne has been blocking mail from spam sites for years.  The original
lne CDR 'charter' posting mentioned that lne blocks spammers.

But lately the spam has been getting really bad, close to 50% of the
mail we were getting, and then the spammers started doing brute force
name searches as well.... many thousands per day.  That really
pissed me off.  So I have increased the use of the block list, for
lack of better technology.

The block list isn't intended to keep any mailing list postings out.  The
program that adds to it checks that there isn't a list subscriber at that
site, but it's not perfect.  Especially with list subscribers who have
shadow domains or forwards, which a lot of cpunks list subscribers have.
In Bill's case, a mindspring SMTP server seemed to be a spam haven based
on what we received here, but then Bill's mail got routed through it.

There's a web form that the SMTP error message points you
to in the very rare case that there was legitimate mail rejected (it's
happend all of five times so far), and that form can be used to let me
know that there is a human whose mail is getting blocked so I can fix it.

Eric