From: "Trei, Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], "'Mike Rosing'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Confiscation of Anti-War Video
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:08:17 -0500

> Mike Rosing[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] writes:
>
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Tyler Durden wrote:
>
> > In antoher context I've wondered about the possibility of wireless,
> > near-real-time video upload. With 3G this will cetainly be easy, but I'm
> > wondering if there are soft/hard gadgets that can auto-upload stuff.(In
> > addition, 3G looks like it's going to roll out in the US only in fits
> and
> > starts over the next bunch of years.)
> >
> > Ideally, this upload would be made directly to WWW, but upload to a
> > safe-haven would certainly be better than nothing (particularly if one
> does
> > not even have any knowledge about where some copies of the upload are
> > auto-uploaded to!).
> >
> > Anyone done anything like this?
>
> You probably can do something like it in Tokyo right now. There
> are lots of cell phones with cameras built in there. You just press a
> button and send it as e-mail. Not exactly streaming video, but 1 frame
> every couple of seconds by 5 people could be done very easily.
>
> I saw 10 year old kids playing with the things. They were taking pictures
> of their noses, and watching their friends on another train send pictures
> back. It felt like I was living in the dark ages coming back to the US!
>
> Patience, persistence, truth,
> Dr. mike

Not for live video yet, but you can do this with still images in the US
already. The Sprint 'PCS Vision' system is a 3G phone system. If you
get a Samsung A500 or N400 with a camera attachment, you can
take prictures and send them wirelessly as email. This does not appear
to be an instant send, integrated system like the Japanese iMode phones
(which I've also seen, very cool). but it's getting there.

Video will come. First though, you'll probably have Bluetooth and/or
802.11a/b/g cameras which can transmit to an unattached recorder
(which might be carried by a different person).

Batteries are becoming the main drag on this stuff. Hopefully, fuel cells
will be available soon.

Peter Trei