at Thursday, November 07, 2002 6:13 PM, David Honig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
was seen to say:
> Wouldn't a crypto coder be using paranoid-programming
> skills, like *checking* that the memory is actually zeroed?
That is one of the workarounds yes - but of course a (theoretical)
clever compiler could realise that

int myflag;
myflag=0;
if (myflag!=0) { do stuff } ;

can be optimised away entirely as the result is constant.

the problem isn't so much a question of what would work now, but "is it
possible that your zeros could be optimised away by a theoretical future
compiler, and how do we make portable code that nevertheless can't be
optimised away?"