ASIO to pay wrong arrest detainees compensation
People detained for up to 48 hours without access to legal advice under proposed counter-terrorism laws had the right to seek compensation if they were wrongfully held, a Senate inquiry heard today. more
http://smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/18/1037490103003.html
They have crawled out from under their rock...
>>>...ASIO was not interested in making a mad grab for power, the spy agency boss said today as debate continued over the need for a wider role for ASIO in the wake of September 11.
A Senate committee is the third body to hold an inquiry into proposed new powers for ASIO, including detaining people for up to a week without charge if it thinks they might have useful information.
ASIO director general Dennis Richardson said he understood some people had genuine concerns about the new powers, especially the right to detain someone for up to 48 hours without a lawyer.
But he said ASIO was just interested in maximising the chances of preventing an act of terrorism. ..<<<
http://theage.com.au/articles/2002/11/18/1037490104509.html
Questions in the Senate...
When is Bill Blik gonna pull his flamin' finger out?
We're waiting for a good release date for WARNINGATE...possibly christmas,possibly christmas in the year 2525.