On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 03:18:09PM -0800, Mike Rosing wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Tim May wrote:
> > Lincoln's notion that the Constitution is suspendable during a war, or
> > other emergency conditions, was disgraceful. Nothing in the
> > Constitution says that it is suspended when a President declares it to
> > be suspended.
> Power is what power does.  He got away with it, that's all that counts.

    Then the consitution is meaningless babble.

> > "Don't stand out, don't protest policy, don't write letters, don't meet
> > with hackers, and Washington won't interfere with your so-called
> > constitutional rights."
> > This is where we are.
> Almost, but not quite.  There's definitly a protest movement already -
> http://www.notinourname.net is a national one there are 2 in my city
> http://www.mindspring.com/~wnpj and www.madpeace.org.  There's plenty
> of people using words to change things.

    The "Not in Our Name" people are only running off at the mouth
    because it's a Republican in the white house. The didn't speak up
    when the Sodomizer in Chief bombed a pharmacetuical plant, nor a
    dozen or so other armed interventions during that period.

    No, those people aren't against "the" government taking away our
    rights by force, they're just against *THIS* government taking away
    our rights by force.

> > The thermonuclear cleansing of Washington, D.C. cannot come soon
> > enough. Allah willing, by next Ramadan.
>
> While I can't say I disagree, I think a more subtle approach may be more
> permenent.

    There is no approach that can be permanent, other than sterilizing
    the entire planet.

    Freedom, like security, is a process, a process you cannot stop or
    you lose it, and when you lose it, it's a lot harder to get back.

--
"They can attempt to outlaw weapons but they can't outlaw    | Quit smoking:
the Platonic Ideal of a weapon and modern technology makes   | 240d, 13h ago