On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 11:02:48AM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 31, 2002, at 09:49  AM, Kevin Elliott wrote:
>
> >At 12:12 -0500  on  12/31/02, Adam Shostack wrote:
> >>Rummaging through my wallet...a grocery card in the name of Hughes, a
> >>credit card with the name Shostack, and an expired membership card in
> >>the name Doe.

> * Dossier compiling at grocery stores is not very useful for Big
> Brother, either. Who consumes Midol, Attends, Trojans, etc. is not
> interesting even to George Bush and Dick Cheney. And few hardware or
> electrical supply stores have courtesy cards. In any case, no
> requirement to use cards, etc.
>
> * All in all, not a very interesting example of ID and tracking. Things
> will get much more interesting, and worrisome, if there is ever a
> national ID system (in the U.S.) and some kind of legislated
> requirement (albeit unconstitutional!) that citizen-units must ID
> themselves with valid ID for all purchases, or at least of certain
> classes of purchases (beyond guns, for example).
>
> I don't see this happening in the next 15 years unless some major new
> terrorist incident occurs.

But what if this data is used as part of a larger picture, such as in
TIA. It definitely can be used, along with gas purchases, to track
where a suspect, aka a citizen, is living.  Also, many possible
weapons such as perscription drugs, box cutters, and kitchen knives
can be purchased at a grocery store, which combined with case data
could be useful in framing, aka finding, the suspect.

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

Listening to: A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario

"Each molecule preaches
   perfect law,
 Each moment chants true
   sutra;
 The most fleeting thought
   is timeless,
 A single hair's enough to
   stir the sea"
- Shutaku

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]