http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2002/Dec-21-Sat-2002/news/20327620.html

Las Vegas Review Journal

Saturday, December 21, 2002

SUPREME COURT: Justices rule suspect must give police ID

Dissenting judge fears erosion of civil liberties while others say
officer's safety is paramount
By ED VOGEL
REVIEW-JOURNAL CAPITAL BUREAU

CARSON CITY -- In a 4-3 decision in which justices debated terrorism and
its effect on American civil liberties, the state Supreme Court ruled
Friday that a police officer can order a suspect to produce identification.

The majority decided that Humboldt County Deputy Sheriff Lee Dove
rightfully asked suspect Larry Hiibel to identify himself out of concern
for his personal safety.

Hiibel refused to identify himself during a May 2000 stop just outside of
Winnemucca because he did not believe he did anything wrong. After Dove
asked him 11 times to produce identification, Hiibel was arrested. The law
requires people to identify themselves to police when ordered to do so.

In a stinging dissenting opinion, Justice Deborah Agosti said the court
majority "has allowed the first layer of our civil liberties to be whittled
away."

She contended that the "the right to wander freely and anonymously, if we
so choose, is a fundamental right of privacy in a democratic society."

Dove had been sent by dispatchers to a site where someone saw a man
striking a girl inside a truck. When the officer arrived, he saw Hiibel
standing outside a truck. He said he thought Hiibel was intoxicated and his
daughter was sitting in his truck.

Hiibel later was convicted in district court of resisting and obstructing a
police officer in carrying out his duties. He appealed that verdict -- and
a fine of $320 -- to the Supreme Court.

In the majority decision, Justice Cliff Young wrote that the "right to be
let alone -- to simply live in privacy" is sacred, but that it is not
absolute.

Young and Justices Myron Leavitt and Nancy Becker said the "intrusion on
privacy" made by police seeking identification is "outweighed by the
benefits to officers and community safety."

"The most dangerous time for an officer may be during an investigative stop
-- when a suspect is approached and questioned," Young wrote.

He noted that 51 officers were killed in the line of duty in the United
States in 2000, including 13 during traffic stops and six during
investigations of suspicious persons.

"Knowing the identify of a suspect allows officers to more accurately
evaluate and predict potential dangers that may arise during an
investigative stop," Young wrote in the majority decision concurred in by
Chief Justice Bill Maupin.

But Young went beyond the Nevada case when he cited how police authorities
need all the help they can get in the war against terrorism.

"More importantly, we are at war against enemies who operate with concealed
identities, and the dangers we face as a nation are unparalleled," he
stated. "Terrorism is changing the way we live and the way we act and the
way we think."

The justice then repeated a comment made last year by President Bush: "This
is a different kind of war that requires a different type of approach and a
different type of mentality."

To be forced to reveal one's identity, according to Young, is not an
invasion of privacy. He pointed out that people give their names to others
every day "without much consideration" and part of "polite manners."

But in the dissenting opinion written by Agosti and concurred in by
Justices Bob Rose and Miriam Shearing, the court minority expressed concern
about the loss of civil rights since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"Now is precisely the time when our duty to vigilantly guard the rights
enumerated in the Constitution becomes most important," Agosti wrote. "To
ease our guard now, in the wake of fear and unknown perpetrators who may
still seek to harm the United States and its people, would sound the call
of retreat and begin the erosion of civil liberties."

Agosti also maintained that the "true test of our national courage" is not
defending ourselves against terrorism, but "our necessary and steadfast
resolve to protect and safeguard the rights and principles upon which our
nation was founded, our constitution and our personal liberties."

While siding with the majority, Maupin said he thought the majority
overreacted with its references to the dangers of the war on terrorism.

He said the decision was simply over a police officer's need to protect
himself against a man suspected of domestic violence and drunken driving.

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>