At 02:48 PM 1/14/03 -0800, Michael Motyka wrote:

>I guess bifurcation points and speciation seem very clear because of
the aliasing
>problems in our sampling methods. The speciation exists but is prolly (
probably ) often
>fuzzier than we think. Almost everyone would say that an American Bison
and a Scot's
>Highland are two different species but they can hybridize. Maybe we
non-Biologists
>measure the distance between "species" inaccurately.

Probably not.  Lay knowledge usually has substantial truth.  (The major
problem with lay knowledge
in bio/geo/climatology is lack of scale ---no sense that things change,
and this is a snapshot, so don't get
so attached.)

A species is operationally defined as a population that can't breed with

another.  The layman and/or farmer knows this, or learns this upon
trying to cross things :-)
Its empirically verifiable.

On forking: Nature's RCS is distributed.  Un-interoperable forks
(species) are documented by those wetboy cladistics folks,
gnostic Linneans.   And these days the sequencemensch and their
fluorescing machines,
ravers dancing to evolution's endlessly refined tune..

>Is the evolution towards a more efficient language an active or passive
process? Is it
>driven by an internal inclination towards expansion, freeing up system
resources as it
>were, or is it a coping mechanism for sensory overload?

A major job of Mr Brain is finding efficient representations (ie by
finding regularity).
At every level, from sensory to conceptual.

Humans are also very very good at imitation and linguistic acquisition.
(The same ready
programmability is maladaptive when e.g., religion infests the mind...)

given channel.

Xerox errors in the genome try lots of things.  Similarly with memes &
culture & linguistics.  Some things work better.
You can get hurt if you misunderstand.  You might not have children if
you get hurt.  Do the math :-)