In real life this will not work as most Windoze hard disk encryption
schemes can't encrypt the OS disk - and this is where the temp/cache stuff
goes.

You can change both where your browser caches stuff off the web and the
temp folder so that's ok, but this doesn't work well because temp has to
be available when you login, but since you haven't yet logged in, you
couldn't have unlocked your crypto drive.  Even more so, the registry,
your pagefile, and if you've got a notebook - hybernation file, all go to
naked disk.

These can have more than enough info to reveal what's on your crypto disk
(ie. shortcuts to url's you've recently visited, recently opened
documents, etc...)

At least with a unixish OS you can mount your crypto file systems up at
boot time before the OS really starts up (before the system goes to
multi-user mode for example (at the end of /etc/rc1.d and before the
rc2.d init starts.)

So far I've yet to see something that encrypts an entire hard drive - OS
and all - except unless you're willing to go with something like VMWare or
Bochs and keep the OS that you do your work from on an encrypted volume.

You can probably hack some SAN-like thing together and have the SAN box do
the crypto - so long as the disk provided by the SAN looks like any other
IDE or SCSI disk, it'll encrypt everything - but such things are insanely
expensive.

It may be possible to do this via USB2/Firewire if your BIOS supports it,
and you have the ability to build a SAN that talks USB2/firewire... but
haven't seen this on the market... likely a small SBC with the proper
ports and drivers to make itself look like a disk are the way to
go.  Think Archos Multimedia Jukebox and iPod with rewritten OS + a way to
enter the key not into your PC but in the jukebox.

Or if you've got the coding skills and brass cajones, write your own hard
disk driver for windblows that can query either a USB fob or keyboard or
whatever for the passphrase during OS bootup.

Even so, if there are any vulnerable services - i.e. autorun enabled CD,
drive shares, web server with security hole, all the crypto in the world
won't keep your data private.  Add to that any hardware key catchers,
mini-camera in the ceiling watching your keystrokes, etc....

 + ^ + :NSA got $20Bil/year |Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/  :and didn't stop 9-11|share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:Instead of rewarding|monitor, or under your keyboard, you   \/|\/
  /|\  :their failures, we  |don't email them, or put them on a web  \|/
 + v + :should get refunds! |site, and you must change them very often.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.sunder.net ------------