With war looming, economic uncertainty and ongoing fears about the health of the environment, many people are searching for meaning, reassurance and hope. It seems some are looking to a party which was once the basket case of Australian politics, The Greens, for a new type of spiritualism. In the past year membership of the Queensland Greens has doubled. . . a trend which is being repeated around Australia and the world. . . evidence that the world is finally turning Green.
The Gold Coast Bulletin (Australia); February 22, 2003

AUSTRALIA: GREEN IS THE NEW RELIGION

By Suzanne Lappeman

With war looming, economic uncertainty and ongoing fears about the
health of the environment, many people are searching for meaning,
reassurance and hope. It seems some are looking to a party which was
once the basket case of Australian politics, The Greens, for a new type
of spiritualism. Suzanne Lappeman reports.

Drew Hutton has been arrested dozens of times, has paid incalculable
sums in court fines and has unsuccessfully run for positions in all
three levels of government on 10 occasions.

Such a colourful past would be a burden for most aspiring politicians,
but for the convener, co-founder and face of the Queensland Greens it is
a badge to be worn with pride.

The passion behind what some would consider a litany of misdemeanours
and failures is what marks The Greens as so different from the three
major parties which are fast becoming indistinguishable.

In the past year membership of the Queensland Greens has doubled from
about 400 to 800. It is a trend which is being repeated around Australia
and the world.

For Mr Hutton, 55, it provides vindication for him and his fellow
activists, and evidence that the world is finally turning Green.

In fact, he predicted the party, which once trailed the now
self-imploding Democrats, will be in government somewhere in Australia
within a decade.

"Not in our own right, in coalition government, federal level is most
likely, but it could happen in any state," said Mr Hutton this week.

"It could happen in NSW at the next election ... it could easily happen
at the next election (next month).

"The polls are saying we could win three Lower House seats as well as
two in the Upper House so it is not outside the realms of possibility
that the Greens could either have the balance of power there or be in
coalition government themselves."

So how does he explain the jump in support from the mainstream which has
seen the party averaging 7-10 per cent nationally and membership surging
in the past few years?

Mr Hutton said it was not just about the moral void within the major
parties but a universal search for hope and a new spirituality which had
arisen out of desperation.

"Green politics picks up on the mood for change which has been going
around the world now for the past 20 years," he said.

"Look at the main social movements that have emerged ... feminism,
conservatism, human rights, gay and lesbian rights and the rights of
indigenous people ... it has been those social movements that have
pushed the moral and political boundaries over the past 20 years and
Green politics continue that.

"We see our identity as very much intertwined with the environment we
are part of but also, if we are going to achieve a world where we are in
harmony with that environment, we need to learn how to work in harmony
with each other and that is based in a human rights, an equal
opportunity view of the world not an authoritarian view of the world.

"Economic rationalism has simply been the last straw.

"It's in the way it views people, not as part of a family or a community
or any sort of collective body, it just sees them as isolated
individuals in competition with each other.

"The Greens represent a way out of that where we can recapture that
solidarity we have with each other and create political systems so to
enshrine that."

Even Mr Hutton is surprised by the diversity of his new members.

"Most of the people coming to us have never been involved in
environmental issues in their lives," he said.

"They are coming to us because they see us standing strongly on social
policies, whether it is refugees or a possible war against Iraq. A lot
of people are saying we are the one source of hope, in politics at
least.

"There is an interesting cross-section of people but they include some
mainstream people, often in high positions in business or public service
... lawyers, doctors, academics and even former high ranking police."

Mr Hutton has been buoyed by the number of people backing The Greens, a
party he helped found with Tasmanian Senator Bob Brown in 1992 after
first forming the Brisbane Green Party in 1974.

His youthful activism was sparked by a strong sense of social injustice
but, unlike many of his fellow students protesting at that time, he
never lost enthusiasm.

"I started in the anti-war movement in the late 1960s because everyone
else was and there was nothing unusual about that," he said.

"I was also idealistic wanting to make the world a better place so, I
suppose, when a lot of people decided to stop protesting once the war
was over a lot of people just went on with their work.

"I did too. I didn't become a full-time agitator or anything like that,
I became a high school teacher and then an academic but I was also
interested in democratic issues."

It was an unexpected direction for the boy who came from a conservative
rural family.

"I am a boy from the bush, Chinchilla. My father was a butcher, my
mother was a teacher and I went to boarding school because we didn't
have a high school in my home town," he said.

"I was school captain at Brisbane Grammar School and a top sportsman and
scholar and so on. I should have gone on to become a barrister or
something reputable. My parents always harboured the hope I might do
that sooner or later but, nevertheless, they always supported me."

His profile once saw him compared to self-confessed 'media tart' and
Queensland Premier Peter Beattie, but it is a comparison he rejects.

"I don't get arrested to be in the media. I get arrested if there is an
issue I feel strongly about," he said.

So far his most satisfying wins ... a campaign to stop inner-Brisbane
evictions around Expo '88, a toxic dumping inquiry which resulted in the
Environmental Protection Act and his part in the development of the
Regional Forestry Agreement ... outnumber his disappointments, most
notably the failure to get decent environmental regulations for the
mining industry.

But there have been so many issues over the years his memory has to be
prodded by his co-author, party co-founder and wife, Libby Connors.

The couple live in a Queenslander they are redecorating in a
foliage-fringed street in the inner-Brisbane suburb of West End where
the neighbours all know each other and houses bear 'No War' banners.

His elder son, Kieren, also works for the Greens while another son,
Joshua, is a peacekeeper up in Bougainville.

Mr Hutton is now contemplating writing books, as well as making another
tilt at office with a senate spot at the next federal election, due in
late 2004, the most likely target.

"When I first started contesting elections it was mostly to show people
it could be done," he said.

"It was to make a point that it wasn't a terribly difficult thing to do,
that you could come from a minor party position as we were and take them
on.

"Now the lesson has been well and truly learned and if I stand again, it
will be to win."

There are now Greens in all levels of Parliament but none in Queensland
where the state's optional preferential voting system and Mr Beattie's
Vote One strategy seriously disadvantages the party.

It is something The Greens plan to fight Mr Beattie on by threatening to
withhold their preferences.

"What Mr Beattie has done is turn the voting system in Queensland into a
first-past-the-post system and that is the most undemocratic system
there is," said Mr Hutton.

The Greens will stand in about half the seats statewide at the next
election and probably all of the nine seats on the Gold Coast.

"We have a presence on the Gold Coast. We received 13 per cent in
Surfers Paradise (by-election) last time," he said. "We regularly get
8-10 per cent in those seats and we will do better this time.

"The Gold Coast is one area where we can do well, there are lots of
issues and a strong youth vote.

"The challenge for us is to get those young people enrolled."

The Gold Coast branch will also decide within the next few months
whether to run candidates in the local government election.

Can Mr Hutton see a time when he will no longer feel so driven?

"I have a good family and they keep me grounded," he said.

"That really helps with your longevity because it is a pretty rough game
and your ego and morale can really suffer at times.

"But you have to believe in what you do and if you have people around
you who are supportive then you can keep going."

He will need all that support to help The Greens fulfil the rather large
goal they have set themselves.

"Our role is to change the world, or our part of it," he said.

"The challenge for the 21st century is to develop political and economic
systems that harmonise with the constraints imposed on us by the natural
environment, that is the main challenge for the 21st century."

'We need to learn how to work in harmony with each other' add your own comments

Political greens may have peaked. (english) pr 8:56pm Tue Mar 4 '03 comment#241981

I don't think the next US president could go wrong with the slogan,"It's the environment stupid."(maybe the one after but soon anyway)And the au greens might have peaked as the state where they started (Tassie)they are in slow decline.This may be temporary,(and I am certainly biased against representative political reformism being a green anarchist.)
The au greens also rely heavily on a leader,this is a weakness,it doesn't matter how good he is,(and he is exceptional I have to admit)this is a weakness in a system that kills persons that actually threaten to really change the things that need changing.Things like legalizing drugs,disarming and taking hard action against Monsanto's,Uranium Miners,etc.
So don't get your hopes up,if you want something done...do it yrsELF.

http://www.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=241895&group=webcast