--
On 7 Mar 2003 at 12:46, Tyler Durden wrote:
> Let's take one of my famous extreme examples. Let's say a
> section of the New Jersey Turnpike gets turned over to a
> private company, which now owns and operates this section.
>
> So...now let's say I'm black. NO! Let's say I'm blond-haired
> and blue eyed, and the asshole in the squad car doesn't like
> that, because his wife's been bangin' a surfer. So...he
> should be able to toss me off the freeway just because of the
> way I look? (Or the way I'm dressed or the car I drive or
> whatever.)

The turnpike is a hard problem, sincve you have a clash between
two legitimate rights -- the right to wall people out, against
the right not to be walled in.

The mall is not a hard problem, any more than the nightclub is
a problem.  Do you have a problem with a night club turning
away those it feels would clash with the theme?

Let us suppose, instead of a small number of big roads (where
such a thing as "the new Jersey Turnpike" is the sole vital way
of getting from A to B), a rather illogical stitched together
maze of small roads -- much like the internet, where paths tend
to ramble in not very direct fashion, the kind of road system
an anarchic society, where roads were not made according to any
central plan, would produce.

Then, there would be no problem with one particular turnpike
operator turning away blacks, or turning away whites.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     j6r53OQ7j4k1SqdtDWsWdOebG2XED5sN/423GSxD
     4tlIUPZ+1lsAuFtEOwpEqrbUmzsGZVc9i4A6Rpm9E