Memo to U.S. workers: Your days of online shopping or other leisure Web-surfing at your desks may be ending.
Across the country, thousands of large and small firms -- and government agencies -- are installing special software that can block access to individual Web sites from employees' computers. And while many companies are only blocking the obvious suspects, such as sites featuring pornography, gambling or hate speech, some firms are taking matters a step further.
At financial powerhouse Merrill Lynch & Co., grumbling employees said they are prevented from getting to online auctioneer eBay and other e-commerce sites. Even widely used search engines are blocked for some workers.
"They tell you they trust you with a million-dollar account, or with someone's life savings, but you can't be trusted to look at the Internet," said one Merrill worker. A company spokesman acknowledged that Merrill uses the software but refused to provide further details.
As Internet use has mushroomed over the past few years, employers have increased efforts to monitor how their employees use e-mail and the Internet, concerned about everything from worker productivity to employees inadvertently bogging down networks or leaving systems open to viruses.
According to an FBI survey last year, 78 percent of companies found that some of their employees had abused their Internet privileges, such as by downloading pornography or pirated software. An Internet study by the research firm IDC estimates that 30 to 40 percent of Internet surfing between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. is not work related.
Read more
Reverend Chuck0 writes on Friday March 07 2003 @ 08:54PM PST: [ reply | parent ]
The anti-capitalist and anarchist movements need to put companies like Websense into our sights in the next year. Workplace censorware direct affects our ability to take our message to working people. Helping workers circumvent filtering software isn't enough. We should consider doing direct action against these companies.
We've damaged McDonalds' reputation and the capitalists are scared of us, so what's a measly filtering company or two to the power of our movements?