As the nation teeters on the brink of war, the Texas House today gave preliminary approval to a bill that would automatically register young men for a possible draft when they apply for or renew a Texas driver's license.
The bill passed on a voice vote despite objections that the measure would be unfair to conscientious objectors. A final House vote is scheduled Thursday. If it is approved, the bill would move to the Senate for consideration.
The bill mandates that information provided on a driver's license application or renewal from men who are between 18 and 26 be automatically registered with the Selective Service System.
Federal law requires all young men living in the United States and its territories to register with the Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday.
The names are gathered in case a national emergency should require a military draft, although there have been no call-ups since the draft ended in 1973. Failure to register is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000, and it can also deny young men eligibility for federal student loans and government jobs.
Twenty-seven states, two U.S. territories and the District of Columbia have adopted similar legislation.
Rep. Lon Burnam, who authored a rejected floor amendment to the bill, said the legislation was unfair to those who object to war for religious and ethical reasons and violates privacy rights.
"I'm asking you to protect my First Amendment right to have my son or potential son or members of my faith community to have the opportunity to refuse to engage in the military system in this country because our faith directs us not to do so," Burnam said.
"It's not the government's business to tell you whether or not you have the opportunity to drive in this state because you may or may not be compliant with a provision on the national level," he said.
Rep. Bob Hunter, R-Abilene, who authored the bill, said Texas ranks 49th in the nation in "fulfilling our obligation to register young men."
"We're registering a few hundred a month while other states are registering thousands," Hunter said.
About 13.5 million men between the ages of 18 and 25, or 89 percent, were registered nationwide at the end of 2001.
"Under this law, we're going to try to help not only improve our records, but help every young person between 18 and 26 to qualify for benefits and federal student loans," Hunter said. "Every male cannot get a state or federal job or loan unless they have registered for Selective Service."
------
The Selective Service bill is HB479.

Link: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/1815890