There's also another reason and that is our close security alliance with the United States.
The Americans have helped us in the past and the United States is very important to Australia's long-term security.
It is critical that we maintain the involvement of the United States in our own region where at present there are real concerns about the dangerous behaviour of North Korea.
The relationship between our two countries will grow more rather than less important as the years go by.
A key element of our close friendship with the United States and indeed with the British is our full and intimate sharing of intelligence material.
In the difficult fight against the new menace of international terrorism there is nothing more crucial than timely and accurate intelligence.
This is a priceless component of our relationship with our two very close allies.
There is nothing comparable to be found in any other relationship - nothing more relevant indeed to the challenges of the contemporary world.
I know that some people are saying that what we have done makes it more likely that terrorists will attack Australia.
Australia has been a terrorist target at least since the 11th of September 2001.
Australia is a western country with western values.
Nothing will or should change that. That is why we are a target.
Remember that bin Laden specifically targeted Australia because of our intervention to save the people of East Timor.
Does any Australian seriously suggest that if bin Laden's warning had come before the East Timor action we should have caved in and changed our policy. MORE ON...
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6158622%255E25777,00.html