--
On 21 Mar 2003 at 23:01, Jamie Lawrence wrote:
> We all want to get rid of spam. I think most folks on this
> list are in favor of using market dynamics to influence
> behaviour. I think adding an artificial fee to sending email
> is stupid. It is creating false scarcity to fix a broken
> system. Further, it will end up becoming a new profit center
> for ISPs - send an email, pay 5 (or whatever) cents. I I know
> this is being thought about, but what about ad-hoc lists like
> CP? Who will pay for AOL delivery for that? Who pays for
> ASRG?
>
> Sender pays is stupid. Don't support false scarcity.

The intention is sender pays, recipient is paid, reflecting the
real scarcity of readers time.   Mailing lists would be sent
out without postage, but with cryptographic signature, and
subscribers would have to OK it.   Letters to the list would be
accompanied by payment, which would be something considerably
less than a cent, which would yield a profit to the mailing
list operators.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     Y6FMx3kifAEols9uNP5y5vg8sKYvXPMDutZc4nWU
     4vxTg06gsQlG1PONar3AxatOVjnthx9NfjJGIDu6C