NEW YORK - Nearly 200,000 anti-war demonstrators took to the streets of Manhattan on Saturday, protesting the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq even as bombs rained down on Baghdad again.
Smaller demonstrations took place in dozens of cities nationwide, from thousands marching in San Francisco to several hundred protesters snaking through downtown Washington, chanting, ``No blood for oil!''
In New York, the turnout for a march that was 20 abreast and 40 blocks long surprised some parade organizers. They had worried that the round-the-clock bombing and videotape of U.S. tanks racing across the Iraqi desert might cause some anti-war Americans to despair. Instead, unofficial police estimates of the crowd size grew steadily through the day, and marchers spoke of their determination to be heard a final time.
``It's too late to stop the war, but it's important to register that this is an unpopular war,'' said Joe Fitzgerald, 45, a musician who marched past Manhattan's tree-lined Union Square with his child and his wife, Deane Beebe. ``Our government's reasoning is so nakedly cynical -- one day it's because of Al-Qaida, then weapons of mass destruction, then to establish a military presence.
``The pretext for this invasion changes ever day.''
Some celebrities joined in, including actors Roy Scheider, Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee, and singer Patti Smith.
``We support the troops, but we do not support the president,'' said Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., a Korean War veteran.
About 2,000 police officers were assigned to the rally, including undercover officers with beeper-sized radiation detectors and other counterterrorism measures.
Police, protesters scuffle
After the permit for the march expired at 4 p.m., several hundred protesters refused officers' orders to clear the area, and some scuffled with police. Hundreds of officers in riot gear and officers on horseback pulled one protester after another out of the crowd and placed them in a police truck.
Police said 74 people were arrested. Protesters said police used pepper spray, and police said 14 officers were getting medical treatment after being sprayed with an unknown substance.
D.C. demonstrators defy police
In Washington, demonstrators descended on the White House and Northwest Washington neighborhoods in an improvised day of protests marked by sometimes-tense standoffs with police at Lafayette Square and near Logan Circle.
Unlike anti-war marches in Washington in recent weeks, in which organizers have largely worked with authorities to map out routes, Saturday's demonstrations at times took place in defiance of a heavy federal and local police presence.
Shortly after noon at 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, marchers brushed aside barricades to enter Lafayette Square across from the White House, which was closed to demonstrations larger than 25 after the Sept. 11 terror attacks. Later, as hundreds of marchers left the square to head up 14th Street, the chanting protesters circled back and ducked into alleys near Logan Circle to escape a police escort.
March down Sunset Boulevard
In Hollywood, war protesters marched down Sunset Boulevard, complaining that news coverage is slanted. One sign showed a photo of an Iraqi mother with a wounded child and said, ``Collateral damage has a face.''
In Chicopee, Mass., 53 of about 1,500 protesters were arrested when they blocked a road to Westover Air Reserve Base during an anti-war rally.
Sixteen protesters were arrested on trespassing charges when they refused to leave Iowa's National Guard headquarters in Johnston. One of them, Carolyn Uhlenhake Walker, an elementary-school teacher, declared, ``I'm a patriot, and I'm offended by people that say we don't love our country.''
In El Prado, N.M., anti-war activists lay down in front of the part-time home of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld
Roy Sheider called shrub a bully with his hokey,'with us or agin' us," crap.