Australian troops in Iraq are being urged not to hand-over prisoners of war to the United States unless they are certain their human rights will be protected.
Former Human Rights commissioner Chris Sidoti says both the United States and Iraq have been mistreating captured enemy personnel by parading them before the media.
Mr Sidoti says Australia must meet its international obligations on the protection of prisoners of war.
"When we know for a fact that American forces in Pakistan and Afghanistan routinely hand over captives to other forces who are habitual torturers with lists of questions that the Americans want answered, we can have the gravest doubts about how they will treat prisoners of war captured in Iraq," he said.
AND
Journalists' union condemns ADF censorship request
The union representing journalists has condemned the Defence Department's attempt to censor the Australian media over images from the war in Iraq.
British opt not to enter Basra
A British spokesman says British troops would not enter the southern city of Basra to battle irregular Iraqi fighters, contradicting an earlier statement.
Soldier's death brings British toll to 20
British defence officials have confirmed a soldier from its Black Watch 1st battalion has been killed in fighting in southern Iraq - the second soldier to be killed in action.