Letter to the Prime Minister from Slater Gordon, solicitors, on behalf of the Victorian Peace Network

The Hon John Howard MP

Prime Minister

Parliament House

Canberra ACT 2600

Re: Complicity in potential war crimes

We act on behalf of 41 affiliates of the Victorian Peace Network (listed in Appendix A, attached).

Our clients are concerned that violations of international humanitarian law are likely to be perpetrated by United States military forces when the proposed military action in Iraq proceeds. In that event, and given that your government has committed Australian forces, we are instructed to put you on notice that our clients will seek to have you and senior ministers of your government investigated and, if appropriate, prosecuted for being complicit in excessive and unjustifiable loss of civilian lives and devastation of non-military infrastructure.

1. Crimes under the International Criminal Court Statute (the "ICC Statute")

Since the International Criminal Court (the "ICC") was established in July 2002, jurisdiction has been created over "the most serious crimes of concern to the international community as a whole". These include crimes against humanity and war crimes (Articles 5, 7 and 8 of the ICC Statute). Like offences have been created in domestic law by Division 268 of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth) (the "Code"). For the reasons set out in section 5 below, our clients hold grave fears that the proposed military action by US forces will involve the commission of the war crime of "intentionally launching an attack in the knowledge that such attack will cause incidental loss of life or injury to civilians or damage to civilian objects or widespread, long-term and severe damage to the natural environment which would be clearly excessive in relation to the concrete and direct overall military advantage anticipated". (Article 8(2)(b)(iv); see also s268.38 of the Code).

Our clients are not alone in this view. Many of Australia's foremost international law experts have made a warning to similar effect (see Appendix B).

2. Complicity in war crimes

You and your senior ministers can be held personally and criminally responsible for complicity in crimes committed during a military campaign.

Article 25 of the ICC Statute provides for individual responsibility of persons who commit a crime within the ICC's jurisdiction and attributes criminal responsibility in a number of circumstances, including where a person:

* orders, solicits or induces the commission of a crime;

* for the purpose of facilitating the commission of a crime, aids, abets or otherwise assists in its commission or attempted commission, including by providing the means for its commission; or

* intentionally contributes to the commission or attempted commission of a crime by a group of persons acting with a common criminal purpose.

Division 11 of the Code is to similar effect in that it provides, inter alia, that:

* a person who aids, abets, counsels or procures the commission of an offence is guilty of that offence; and

* a person who incites the commission of an offence is guilty of an offence.

Moreover, the ICC Statute specifically provides that official capacity is irrelevant to criminal liability:

"official capacity as a Head of State or Government, a member of a Government or parliament, an elected representative or a government official shall in no case exempt a person from criminal responsibility under this Statute, nor shall it, in and of itself, constitute a ground for reduction of sentence". (Article 27)

3. Information will be provided to ICC Prosecutor

The ICC Statute provides that the ICC Prosecutor may initiate investigations on the basis of information on war crimes, shall analyse the seriousness of information received, may seek additional information from non-government organisations ("NGOs") and other reliable sources and may receive written or oral testimony (Articles 13(c) and 15).

With a view to providing information to the ICC Prosecutor, our clients are committed to inviting, receiving and collating any evidence of war crimes committed by US forces in Iraq and of complicity in any such crimes by you and senior ministers of your government. Our clients propose to co-operate with NGOs and citizens' groups in other countries which will also be monitoring the actions of US forces in Iraq and any complicity of their governments in those actions.

Pursuant to Article 17(1) of the ICC Statute, a case may proceed before the ICC unless Australian authorities have investigated the possible commission of an offence and have prosecuted that offence or made a genuine decision not to prosecute, or have shown themselves to be unable or unwilling to launch an investigation or prosecution. Accordingly, if there is evidence of US war crimes in Iraq, unless an Australian investigation into whether you or your senior ministers will have been complicit in the commission of those war crimes is initiated following the military action, our clients will take steps to ensure that relevant information is referred to the ICC Prosecutor for the purposes of an investigation under the ICC Statute, as set out below.

4. Ad hoc Committee on War Crimes

Given our clients' commitment to ensure the accountability of persons who may be responsible for the commission of such grave crimes, they have decided that an ad hoc Committee on War Crimes constituted by a panel of independent senior counsel will be established in Australia.

This Committee would be responsible for assessing the evidence of complicity in any war crimes and crimes against humanity. If the Committee reaches the conclusion that there are reasonable grounds for suspecting that you or other senior ministers have been complicit in such crimes perpetrated in Iraq, the Committee will forward the information to the ICC Prosecutor and will urge the Prosecutor to initiate an investigation. If the Prosecutor defers to an Australian investigation, the Committee will also provide any such information to the Attorney-General of the day.

Brind Zichy-Woinarski QC (vice-president, International Commission of Jurists Australia - Victorian Section) and Chris Maxwell QC (past president, Liberty Victoria) have agreed to sit on the Committee.

5. Grounds for fears that crimes will be perpetrated

Our clients believe their fears about criminal actions in Iraq are well founded on the basis of both what has occurred in recent military actions and the likely consequences of the planned attack on Iraq.

(a) Recent military actions

Serious breaches of international humanitarian law have been perpetrated during recent conflicts. There is strong evidence that the military strategies adopted and weapons used by the United States forces in the Gulf War (1991), Kosovo and Afghanistan showed serious disregard for fundamental principles of international humanitarian law: military necessity, avoiding unnecessary suffering and proportionality (see Appendix C). Such strategies and use of such weapons could have justifiably led to war crimes prosecutions had the ICC been in existence and had jurisdiction at the time.

To highlight one example: in the Gulf War, the targeting of Iraq's electrical power facilities shut down water purification and sewage treatment plants, resulting in epidemics of gastroenteritis, cholera and typhoid, leading to perhaps as many as 100,000 civilian deaths and a doubling of the infant mortality rate.

Given this history of abuse it is reasonable to suspect that the anticipated military campaign by United States forces in Iraq will again involve flagrant disregard for fundamental international principles applicable to warfare, resulting in serious crimes being committed in contravention of the ICC Statute. Our clients' main concerns are the civilian casualties caused by indiscriminate and/or disproportionate attacks, in addition to the consequent civilian casualties caused by attacks on the economic infrastructure of Iraq.

(b) Likely consequences of the proposed attack on Iraq

US military officials have reportedly stated that 3,000 "precision-guided bombs and missiles" would be unleashed in the first 48 hours of the proposed conflict.

Medact, the British affiliate of the International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War , has estimated that the proposed war could cause between 48,000 and 261,000 deaths on all sides within the first three months, with another 200,000 long term deaths from adverse health effects .

A confidential draft UN document entitled Likely Humanitarian Scenarios predicts that:

* The war will create an estimated 900,000 Iraqi refugees, 100,000 of whom will be in need of immediate assistance.

* 500,000 people could require medical treatment as a result of direct or indirect injuries, based on World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates of 100,000 direct casualties and 400,000 indirect casualties.

* The electricity grid could be severely disrupted, with consequent impacts on water, sanitation and health sectors.

The legality of the planned US action can only be assessed in the context of the actual conditions in Iraq.

A recent statement issued by most of Australia's aid agencies pointed out that Iraq's people are already enduring a humanitarian crisis:

"With Iraq's economy undermined by war and sanctions, up to 16 million people - more than two-thirds of the population - are dependent on the food-rationing system set up by the international community. Authoritative reports indicate that 23% of children in Iraq are already chronically malnourished. Any military action targeting Iraq's ports and roads would cause serious disruption to the food distribution system.

"A number of reports by the United Nations and aid agencies working in Iraq confirm that the water and sanitation systems are in a parlous and vulnerable state. Clean water supplies, as well as the sewage system, depend on electricity. If power lines and power stations are targeted, sewage will not be pumped away and clean water will not be available. Inevitably, disease will sweep through a population whose child-mortality rates have already more than doubled in the last decade. Over 70% of current deaths in Iraq are caused by diarrhoeal and respiratory diseases".

It is against this background that the proportionality of US military action in Iraq will fall to be assessed. Because of the existing humanitarian crisis in Iraq, the consequences of any additional damage to non-military infrastructure will be all the more severe for the civilian population, with the proposed US military action certain, in our clients' view, to create a humanitarian disaster in Iraq.

6. Illegality under international law

It should not be assumed from the above that our clients accept that the proposed use of force in Iraq would be lawful under international law as asserted by you and your government. On the contrary, our clients believe that this military action would be a clear violation of international law and the prohibition on the use of force contained in the United Nations Charter. In our clients' opinion, none of the Security Council resolutions on Iraq, including SC Resolution 1441, authorise the proposed military action. We note that our clients' view is in accord with the position expressed recently by the United Nations Secretary General, Kofi Annan:

"If the United States and others would go outside the Council and take military action, it would not be in conformity with the Charter".

7. Conclusion

For the reasons set out above, our clients fear that the proposed US military action in Iraq is likely to involve the commission of war crimes on the basis that the disastrous consequences to the civilian population in Iraq would be clearly excessive when compared to any anticipated military advantage.

If the US forces do commit such war crimes in Iraq, and given that you and your government have decided to commit Australian forces to supporting the US action, our clients believe you and your senior ministers would be liable to be prosecuted for aiding and abetting the commission of such war crimes by the US forces.

In those circumstances, our clients would be determined to do everything possible to see that investigations and prosecutions are pursued.

Yours faithfully,

Marcus Clayton

Partner

Industrial, Employment & Public Interest Unit

SLATER & GORDON