At 09:39 AM 6/9/2004, Tyler Durden wrote:

Hey..

Since an important theme in Cypherpunks is anonymous transactions, I'm wondering if there isn't some way we can't reverse-swindle folks like this, perhaps by getting them to wire into an egold account or something. Supposedly, they perform an ACH into an account, get you to withdraw the funds, give them their cut, and then they reverse the ACH causing your bank to try to collect from you.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get them to ACH into an anonymous account?

Rule 2 does say that spammers are stupid -- but that's not the kind of thing they're stupid about. They'll sometimes spend money on plane fare (or get one of their friends in the destination city to play the Rich Dictator's Widow's Son, but actually giving you non-trivial amounts of actual cash is unlikely, and of course remember that their account doesn't *really* have $18M in it :-) You might get them to drop a test payment of a dollar into an account, if you want to go to the bother of setting up an account specifically for this application (and telling them you're doing that), and you could use it to rat them out to bank inspectors.

A couple of weeks ago, before we succeeded in taking down
well-known spammer Scotty Richter (by doing well-documented
complaints to his latest ISP while he was busy suing Spamcop
for complaining to his previous ISP), it was getting
awfully tempting to use a remailer to start replying to Nigerian spam
"Yes, I heard that Uncle Fred had gotten killed in your country.
He'd always talked about the kindness your father [Corrupt-Politician-Name-Here] had shown him.
His executor and next of kin is his son-in-law Scotty Richter,
email [EMAIL PROTECTED], address blah blah, Westminster CO, USA,
and please contact him directly by email."
At least this gets the spammers a flood of each others' spam.