Bill Stewart wrote:

At 02:17 PM 9/16/2004, Joe Touch wrote:

Ian Grigg wrote:

On the backbone, between BGP peers, one would have thought
that there are relatively few attackers, as the staff are
highly trusted and the wires are hard to access - hence no
active attacks going on and only some passive eavesdropping
attacks.  Also, anyone setting up BGP routing knows the other
party, so there is a prior relationship.

My understanding of the attacks this past spring is that:
        a) they were indeed on the backbone BGP peers
        b) that those peers had avoided setting up
           preshared keys or getting mutually-authenticatable
           certificates because of the configuration overhead
           (small on a per-pair basis, but may be large
           in aggregate)

The interesting attacks were a sequence-number guessing attack using forged TCP RST packets, which tell the TCP session to tear down, therefore dropping the BGP connection (typically between two ISPs). The attackers didn't need to be trusted backbone routers - they could be randoms anywhere on the Internet. BGP authentication doesn't actually help this problem, because the attack simply kills the connection at a TCP layer rather than lying to the BGP application.

FWIW, the other system we were referring to - TCP-MD5 - works at the TCP layer. It rejects packets within TCP, before any further TCP processing, that don't match the MD5 hash. It isn't BGP authentication.

This is why I refer to it as TCP-MD5 rather than BGP-MD5, even though the latter is more common.

Joe