----- Original Message ----- From: "Shawn K. Quinn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dell to Add Security Chip to PCs

Isn't it possible to emulate the TCPA chip in software, using one's own
RSA key, and thus signing whatever you damn well please with it instead
of whatever the chip wants to sign? So in reality, as far as remote
attestation goes, it's only as secure as the software driver used to
talk to the TCPA chip, right?

That issue has been dealt with. They do this by initializing the chip at the production plant, and generating the certs there, thus the process of making your software TCPA work actually involves faking out the production facility for some chips. This prevents the re-init that I think I saw mentioned a few messages ago (unless there's some re-signing process within the chip to allow back-registering, entirely possible, but unlikely). It even gets worse from there because the TCPA chip actually verifies the operating system on load, and then the OS verifies the drivers, solid chain of verification. Honestly Kaminsky has the correct idea about how to get into the chip and break the security, one small unchecked buffer and all the security disappears forever.
Joe

Trust Laboratories
Changing Software Development
http://www.trustlaboratories.com