<http://www.techcentralstation.com/022405E.html>

Tech Central Station
Thompson, What Am I Going to Do With You?

By Jackson Kuhl
 Published
 02/24/2005

I sat around a lot in airports during the summer of 1998. The previous
fall, I had become involved in an internet-related project which had begun
in my native state of Connecticut. When the project moved to Houston in the
spring, I went with it. For ten weeks I lived in a Holiday Inn across the
street from the Johnson Space Center, plunging my air-conditioned rental
car 80 miles an hour down heat-blasted six-lane boulevards, racing between
air-conditioned hotel room and air-conditioned office. On most Fridays I
would fly home to my newlywed wife, then back again Monday morning. The
company paid for it all.

Sitting at the gates, waiting to board, I read Hunter S. Thompson. Years
previous, I had read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and, like a lot of
people, I had a good laugh and returned it to the bookshelf. Then at some
point I picked up a copy of The Proud Highway, the first volume of
Thompson's collected letters. I'm not even sure how I came to possess the
book or why; but I've always been a fan of writers' correspondence: Raymond
Chandler's, Robert E. Howard's, Kerouac's. I probably picked it off a table
at Barnes & Noble.

The Proud Highway spans between 1955 and 1967, beginning with essays
Thompson wrote in high school and ending with the denouement of the success
of Hell's Angels. It is the unintentional autobiography of a purposeful
young man who typed out Hemingway to teach himself the timbre of Papa's
punching keys. It was refreshing to read, for once, a cynic who lacked
those fingernails down the blackboard, the phony world-weariness affected
by every man, woman, and child in modern print. Thompson exuded
self-control when clearly surrounded by anything but (the sunglasses were
part of that, like a poker player); he seemed to be born a sea captain in a
maelstrom. Thompson could always be surprised (two of his last predictions
were that Kerry would win the election and the Colts would face the Eagles
in the Superbowl -- Lord, how that man could be wrong) but he could deal
with it without the Geraldo Rivera bravado that consumes contemporary
journalism. It was bracing.

Some of Thompson's trials reverberated with my own. Thompson very badly
wanted to be a fiction writer, a desire which I believe stuck to his dying
day -- even while young he worried that he would be remembered for his
nonfiction. In his early twenties, he wrote and submitted short stories to
magazines, unsuccessfully. Me too. Thompson was a misanthrope afflicted
with the obsessive-compulsion to write, which, after all, is a form of
communication, requiring human contact. Me too. He was prone to threatening
people with bodily harm. Me too. He was a loyal and honorable friend. I'm a
mean-spirited jackass.

When I began working on the internet project, I was strictly client-side --
it was glorified technical editing. But as time passed and the more senior
consultants dropped away, off to pursue less mind-numbing endeavors, I
migrated into server country, through the looking glass into databases and
MySQL and security loopholes big enough to drive my Hertz Grand Am through
(late one Thursday night, I accidentally deleted half the project and had
to have the server administrator restore it from backup tapes). By late
August, I was clawing at my throat to escape. The Houstonians looked to me
-- me! -- to make things work when they didn't. My career stood like a
deep-sea diver on the edge of a continental shelf, a single fin stroke
keeping me from being merely out of my depth and ending up alongside a
kraken in some sperm whale's belly.

If I were to continue any farther, I said to myself sitting in an airport,
I needed formal training. I needed to go back to school. But I also knew it
was a lost cause. I had no love for computers or networks -- I had gotten
into it for the money -- and so I knew I'd never be better than mediocre.

Give me time and I would be wiping servers clean across America.

Texas and Thompson concocted a martini in my head in the summer of 1998. I
bought pepper spray; I wore Army surplus cargo pants with Beatle boots; I
inhaled six-packs of Shiner in my hotel room that I kept iced in a trash
can while I was at work; I abused rental cars like an escaped felon. And I
realized, just as Thompson wrote in 1959, that there were no two ways about
it: "I am going to be a writer. I'm not even sure that I'm going to be a
good one or even a self-supporting one." I had to be a writer, just as a
priest is called to his collar, out of sheer necessity: it was the only
thing I had aptitude for.

Hunter S. Thompson will be remembered for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
He will be remembered as the sire of "gonzo:" for the bucket hat and the
cigarette holder. I wish it wasn't that way. I wish instead he would be
remembered for Hell's Angels, a piece of anthropology more insightful than
anything Margaret Mead produced. I wish he were remembered not for the guns
but for the peacocks he bred and sold to Alaskan golf courses. Over
everything, I wish he were remembered for the cracks in the gonzo, for the
cloud breaks of lucidity in all the craziness. Because that's the real
reason I admired him and why I read practically everything he wrote while
sitting in some airport somewhere: Hunter S. Thompson was brilliant. It was
his well-read brain and not the intoxicants with which he spliced together
the wonderful analogies that he did -- it was why he was able to fashion
destinations for his trains of thought. Pick up any of his stuff and he's
going off, snarling at somebody, driving some machine to ruin, blabbering
about conspiracies and people snorting cocaine from human skulls and then,
like a rollercoaster pausing on the crest of a long drop, he'll make a very
real and quiet point about why the NFL is just like national politics which
is just like bad hotel service. And then the coaster finally tips and
pitches back again into fury and steel.

I never took the drugs and alcohol seriously after The Proud Highway. It's
not that they were there -- oh, they were there -- but I knew they were
part of his self-deprecation, his saying, I'm so firmly in control here I
can do whatever I like. It was the essence of inebriation that he fixed so
securely to the page: the sensory overload pierced by sparkling Caribbean
islands of epiphany and understanding that the rest of us forget thirty
seconds later. Thompson didn't lose them. He could chart the entire
experience.

That's why I wanted to be a journo, or a freelancer, or whatever you want
to call me now. Leave the gonzo to his other fans; I wanted the moments
in-between. If I could capture those -- well, if I could capture those.

By Thanksgiving 1998, I had already met with some success in my new
trajectory. I often thought about writing Thompson a letter thanking him --
the first time in my life I had ever felt the desire to contact a celebrity.

It would be like the cheeky epistles he wrote to William Faulkner and
Norman Mailer. I imagined maybe he would scribble a note back, and I could
keep it in my desk drawer. But I figured he got stacks of mail daily from
fans around the world, frothing at the mouth and keeping him from his work,
every one of them -- like me -- demanding that he recognize them, that he
spread some of his luminescence upon them by acknowledging both parties
existed on the same planet. I felt silly and childish, and so I never did
anything.

>From what I gather, Thompson was not in the best of shape. Broken leg, hip
replacement, back surgery; he was reported to be in a lot of pain -- and
you have to wonder what kind of pain can penetrate the fog of Chivas Regal
and Wild Turkey.

That doesn't make me any less angry. Thompson was to his bones a southern
gentleman. He would growl but he was said never to be impolite without
cause. I've read that he would kick people out of his house if they spoke
out of turn or abused his hospitality -- Owl Farm was his Algonquin Round
Table, not Coyote Ugly. But what he did Sunday night was disgraceful. It
was rude, Thompson, it was rude and ungracious and discourteous. You let
your only child find your corpse and you did it while your six-year-old
grandson was in the house. Jesus.

But that's enough of that. The last thing Thompson's family and friends
need right now is some total stranger yelling at the old man. They've got
plenty of yelling of their own.

I can't decide if it was a terminal act of ultimate control or an admission
that all along he never had any. Now I'm left with the Thompson of 1998,
the Thompson in my head, and I need to figure out where to put him. I will
read the papers to learn the wishes of the family. I'll send flowers to the
funeral home or make a donation to whatever charity they ask me to. This
afternoon I took my toddler to the toy store and let him get whatever he
wanted. I don't know what else to do.

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>