Given we're suggesting logging the msgid, from, to, mailboxname and uid
of every message delivered, I don't see too much of a problem in logging the msgid, mailbox name and uid of every message expunged, it should be a pretty similar order of magnitude and would provide very useful tracking information.

My concern wouldn't be the volume of logs, but the spikes that large expunges could cause.

Good point, but is that usually a problem? Most people run use syslog with - in front of their log files to make them non fsync. I guess the concern is that a very large flood could overload the net buffer and cause lines to be dropped, or all the calls to syslog could actually slow down the expunge process itself, especially with the delayed expunge option. I guess being able to set some "logmask" imapd.conf option might be the best approach so people can decide what they want logged?

Rob