On 09/14/2010 05:09 PM, Dave McMurtrie wrote:

I added some basic information to the FAQ in the "Questions about
features" section to attempt to answer your database backends question.
It doesn't fully answer your question, but it's a start.

Thanks; that's definitely a start. Are the names, type, number of cyrus db options a compile time or run time (imapd.conf) configuration option? In particular, my existing debian cyrus 2.1.16 install includes no mention of anything database related in the imapd.conf file and the set of databases only has a minimal intersection with the set that has been mentioned by, e.g., Dan White:
  www:cyrus# pwd
  /var/lib/cyrus
  www:cyrus# ls
  db        db.backup2    log          msg   quota   tls_sessions.db
  db.backup1  deliver.db    mailboxes.db  proc  socket  user

Apparently the debian cyrus packages have been held back by the lack of a good system for upgrading existing cyrus installs. Since this really just means updating the db files, this is an impossibility without a very clear roadmap describing db files for at least the N versions of cyrus that were packaged for debian. It's fairly clear to me that the upgrade script RedHat uses won't work for at least the debian version of cyrus I've been using.