On 06 Jan 2011, at 13:02, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) wrote:
> I suppose for the switching to the cyrus user, what I always do is, for
> example:
>  # su - -s /bin/bash cyrus -c '/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/ctl_mboxlist -d'
> Because the cyrus user does not have a valid shell in RPM based distributions.

ctl_mboxlist properly checks the running user and attempts to switch to the
configured cyrus user, erroring out if it's not able to.  All of the tools are
intended to have this behavior: running many of the tools as root tends to
corrupt (at least) permissions on their databases.  If a tool is not checking
and switching, that is a bug which ought to be reported & fixed.  Many of those
flaws have been fixed in the past few releases.

Regarding a universal tool: supporting the needs of distributions should be a
high priority.  By the same token, we don't want to break all the scripts what
are currently relying on the non-universal tools.  As such, I wouldn't put much
functionality into such a universal tool, beyond locating the wrapped
non-universal tools.

:wes