On 02/04/16 18:24 -0800, Jan Parcel via Cyrus-devel wrote:
I think there MUST be a way to use libsasl with smtp without storing passwords in the clear, and ESPECIALLY not on each local system, but nowhere in the docs is an example for how to do so.

I would think the ldapdb auxprop plugin might be able to do that, or some kind of use_pam? Or ldap without the ldapdb plugin?

(I realize Kerberos might handle that but I'm looking for a non-Kerberos solution in addition.)

Thanks for any hints,

The cyrus sasl list is a good resource here.

See:

http://cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-sasl/2.1.25/sysadmin.php

Good options would be PLAIN or LOGIN, in conjunction with saslauthd, or any
mechanism which is not a shared secret mechanism.