Hi Samir,

Bron and I are discussing this as we speak.  This feature will probably not be in the 3.x series, but in a new 4.x series.  I hope to have some running code by the end of 2018.  The ultimate goal is to make mailbox renames an atomic operation of nothing more than updating mailboxes.db entries in a single transaction. No moving of data on disk should be needed beyond updating cyrus.header with the current mailbox name.  In other words, mailbox names will be reduced to meta-data.