On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 01:56:59 +0600, Stefan Behnel <stefan...@behnel.de> wrote:

As one little nit-pick, may I ask you to rename the new name references to "unicode" into "py_unicode" in your code? For example, "is_unicode",
"get_unicode_const", "unicode_const_index", etc. Given that Py_UNICODE is
no longer the native equivalent of Python's unicode type in Py3.3, I'd like to avoid confusion in the code. The name "unicode" is much more likely to refer to the builtin Python type than to a native C type when it appears in Cython's sources.

Actually, "py_unicode" is even more likely to be mistaken for Python-level
unicode. There are already pairs of methods like
get_string_const (C-level) + get_py_string_const (Py-level).

I suggest one of "py_unicode_ptr", "py_unicode_str", "wstring", "wide_string",
"ustring", "unicode_string" to unambiguously refer to Py_UNICODE* variables
and constants. Take yout pick.

Oh, and yet another thing: could you write up some documentation for this
in docs/src/tutorial/strings.rst ? Basically a Windows/wchar_t related
section, that also warns about the inefficiency in Py3.3, so that users
don't accidentally assume it's efficient for anything that needs to be
portable.

Sure, I'm writing the docs now.

Best regards,
Nikita Nemkin