Dear all,

Just to add my experiences, I applied for Romanian citizenship in mid-2018
based on my grandmother's birth in Czernowitz. I had official, certified
records from the Czernowitz archives confirming that her birth is
registered in the Cznernowitz birth registry. After 2.5 years of waiting,
the authorities informed me that this document is now considered
insufficient proof, due to an increase in (allegedly) fraudulent documents
from Ukraine and Russia. I was informed that I need a birth extract from
the Czernowitz city hall (why this would be less subject to fraud than the
documents from the city archive was not explained). However, a Ukrainian
lawyer I retained to help me informed that in most cases the Ukrainian
local authorities do not issue birth extracts for persons born during the
Romanian period. So although I am still pushing ahead, it seems that there
is a big loop-hole in the citizenship laws making it very difficult to
obtain or reclaim citizenship.

Best wishes,

Daniel Ari Baker
Geneva, Switzerland

--
Daniel Ari Baker
B.A., LL.B. (Hons) (Melb), LL.M. (NYU), Grad. Dip. Int'l Cust. L. (Canb.)