Czernowitzers…

Less than 1,200 miles of driving and I've already arrived in Perpignan at the
Center of the Universe - at least that's what Salvador Dali claims. In 1963, he
had a cosmogonic vision and proclaimed Perpignan Train Station [La Gare de
Perpignan] to be the Center of the Universe. As if that were not enough, he
then captured it on canvas. The monumental oil painting (117 in × 160 in) is
now a crowd-puller at the Museum Ludwig in Cologne. From the train station, we
walk under palm trees along the dead straight Avenue Général de Gaulle until we
meet Salvador Dali in ecstasy on his red high seat. On the way we passed the
city palace of wine merchant Emile Drancourt. Abandoned for almost two decades,
the 19th century palace was only recently bought by a German artist and
architect couple.

<https://hauster.blogspot.com/2024/05/at-center-of-universe-in-perpignan-1852.html>
[IMG_0857.jpeg]
At the Center of the Universe in Perpignan (1,852
km)<https://hauster.blogspot.com/2024/05/at-center-of-universe-in-perpignan-1852.html>
hauster.blogspot.com<https://hauster.blogspot.com/2024/05/at-center-of-universe-in-perpignan-1852.html>

Even without visions or mind-bending drugs, Perpignan really is the center of
our universe at the moment, all about the Olympic Flame. Even a heavy downpour
could neither extinguish the Olympic Flame nor dampen the enthusiasm of the
spectators. Thirty miles from Perpignan, at the south-easternmost tip of
France, lies Cerbère. This is where I spent my first vacation with my gang as a
teenager almost half a century ago - unforgettable!

Yet another post with no reference to Bukovina or Czrtnowitz. I vow to do
better, the next one will have both! But who has ever been to the Center of the
Universe other than Salvador Dali, the people of Perpignan and me?

Additional Links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Gare_de_Perpignan
https://geheimnis-der-bilder.zdf.de/museum-ludwig/salvador-dali-la-gare-de-perpignan-der-bahnhof-von-perpignan.html

Edgar Hauster [iPad]